Saturday, February 17, 2007

Pots de creme


I found this off www.wildoats.com It's a really good vegan dessert that doesn't taste like soy or tofu. I didn't make the topping because I don't really care for nuts. This is probably my favourite vegan dessert excluding anything from Millenium. I used Scharffen Berger Chocolate and I think it really made a difference. I also used light coconut milk from Trader Joe's but I imagine it would be even better with regular coconut milk. Yum!

Chocolate Coconut Pots De Crème

1 (14 oz.) can Wild Oats Organic Coconut Milk
1/3 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. good quality bittersweet cocoa powder
3 oz. good quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. cold water
2 Tbsp. slivered almonds, toasted
2 Tbsp. shredded coconut, toasted

Heat coconut milk over medium heat. Stir in sugar, cocoa powder and chopped chocolate. Cook until chocolate melts, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla. Mix together cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle cornstarch into coconut milk, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, until mixture thickens. Divide between four (6-ounce) ramekins. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add almonds, toast until golden. Remove from pan and add coconut. Toast until golden. Allow to cool. Top pots de crème with toasted almonds and coconut.

0comments: