Monday, January 21, 2008

Recycled pencil box

I needed a pencil box to hold my mechanical pencils, but couldn't find one that I liked or that had enough compartments. After much thought, I decided to make one myself out of wood but my hubby wouldn't allow it. He thought I was going to saw off my fingers. hehe With very few choices left, I was scrounging for alternative materials to build my box with. We had just put together a galant unit from IKEA and had a ginormous cardboard box in the garage. With my trusty razor blade (and this was safer?) in hand, I cut pieces of cardboard to the dimensions I needed. After I had all the components cut out I glued them together, covered it in masking tape and then fabric. I attempted to cover up the seams with ribbon, cording and flowers to make it a little more attractive. The bottom of the compartments are filled with batting and leftover felt to protect the tips of the mechanical pencils. I made little signs with the hardness/softness of the pencils so it would be easily readable for me. I think it turned out ok considering it was cardboard and best of all it was FREEEEEEE!

0comments: